Welcome to my blog where I write short essays and poems on a monthly basis on social change, deep love, intersectionality, mindfulness, complexity, and emergence.
Laura is a community food organizer and facilitator who strives to create spaces for people to think about their interactions within the community. She grew up in Indiana where she co-founded the Indianapolis Food, Farm and Family Coalition and has worked with local and government agencies, as well as activist organizations, promoting food growers and producers in the United States. Laura currently holds an M.A. in Environment and Community from Antioch University, works in the hunger relief system, writes about food justice/social change, and resides in Seattle, Washington.
M.A. Environment and Community | 2012 | Center For Creative Change, Antioch University-Seattle
B.F.A. Fine Art | 2003 | Herron School Of Art & Design, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Integrated Skills for Sustainable Change | 2011 | Antioch University-Seattle
- Focus on tools to aid in group process and facilitation to create change within communities and groups.
Skills & Abilities
- Creative and systemic thinker.
- Strong facilitator for meetings, learning gatherings, convenings, and focus groups.
- Ability to design processes that use powerful questions to foster strategic inquiry.
- Writer, teacher, coach.
- Focuses attention on being authentic in the moment.
- Effectively moves groups to a shared vision or compelling purpose.
- Consistently creates a space in which personal visions are encouraged.
- Demonstrates consistent ability in holding creative tensions.
- Effectively communicates information in a style that reflects understanding of the listener.
- Ensures that core messages have been clearly and concisely communicated.
- Is aware of tone, format and context for communication.
- Anticipates and prepares for conflict, difficult questions, and emotional situations.
- Is comfortable with emergence and effective in dealing with ambiguity.
Speaking and Facilitation
- Food Security Forum Presenter | University of Washington – Pullman | 2018
- South King County Food Access Strategic Planning | 2018
- Kitsap County Farmers Market Association Coalition Building | 2017
- Farm to Food Bank Community Workshops | Multiple Counties in Washington State | 2015-2018
- Farm to Food Bank Strategies | WA Food Coalition Conference | 2014
- Guest Speaker, Screening of A Place at the Table | Federal Way United Methodist Church | 2013
- Advocacy Training | School of Public Health, University of Washington | 2012 and 2013
- Advocacy Training | Bastyr University | 2013
- Food Justice Guest Speaker | Seattle Culinary Academy, Seattle Central Community College | 2011-2013
- Food Justice Community Presentation | Issaquah Library | 2013
- Food Justice Co-Presenter | Tierre Madre | 2013
- Food Assesments | 4th Annual Wisconsin Local Food Summit | 2010